Dear Bacon Nation:
It is fitting that on the day after the primary elections, we are here to report the winners of our own democratic process! But, before we do, a few reminders:
A dwindling supply of tickets for our Friday Dinner session remain for sale. Buy them here!
A new contest was announced last week – The Baconfest Chicago 2014 Best Bacon Cocktail. See the details and enter here to win!
Speaking of cocktails, have you bought your tickets yet for the 4/1 Bacon Month Kickoff Cocktail Party at The Berkshire Room? No? You can! Buy those here!
Alright! That’s enough of that!
The people have spoken! Thanks to all who voted. We had 9 semi-finalists competing for 5 finalist slots in the Nueske’s Applewood Smoked Meats Baconfest Chicago 2014 AMATEUR COOK-OFF. The Five Finalists have been selected and are listed below ranked in order of votes received:
2014 Five Finalists:
- Diane Tesmer – Baconized Poutine
- Hipolito Sanchez – Habañero Candied Bacon Smoked Salmon Ceviche
- Joe “Goz” Gosselin – Chorizo Pork Belly BLT on Bacon Cheddar Waffle
- Alexa Hara – Pig Mix
- Barbara Miller – Bacon & Eggs Maki
A Reminder to the 5 Finalists. You are required to do the following:
- Attend Baconfest on April 25th (Friday Dinner Session) as guests of Nueske’s and Baconfest Chicago. (You will be given one contestant pass and two GA tickets for your friends).
- Arrive at 6:30 pm for contestant orientation and you will be escorted to a private backstage room for prep.
- Bring 5 or more tasting portions of your dish to be served to a panel of selected judges.
- Be present for the Golden Rashers Awards ceremony circa 9:00pm when the winner of the Nueske’s Bacon Amateur Cook-off will be announced and presented with a Golden-Rasher Trophy (plus some prizes from Nueske’s t.b.a. – but I bet Bacon will be involved.)
- NOTE New for 2014: Nueske’s will provide you with bacon a week PRIOR to the event to use in your dish (if you want it.)
Parameters of your dish:
You are welcome to bring any equipment you may need with you (please run large, plug-in, or fuel powered devices past us first). In the prep area you will NOT be given facilities to cook your dish on site from scratch. We will have a microwave on site for heating, and you will be given time to set presentation prior to serving. Take this into account when planning your recipe! We will provide plates/flatware for serving. Beverage pairings are acceptable.
One more shout-out to our Sponsor Nueske’s Applewood Smoked Meats. Their generosity (and great bacon) fuels this cook-off and Baconfest Chicago!
Thanks Nation. And thanks to all those who took the time to submit. Due props to Cynthia Flamm, Erick Neu, Jordan Curelo and Judith Singer. Their recipes are below.
Cynthia Flamm – Apple Bacon Crunch Cake with Maple Bacon Toffee Glaze
Erick Neu – Triple Bacon Tilapia Tortillas
Jordan Curelo – “Trough Trash”
Judith Singer – Bacon Florentine Sandwich Cookie