Our purpose: To connect people with great local businesses
10Things You Should Know About Yelp
- Yelp was founded in 2004 to help people find great local businesses like dentists, hair stylists and mechanics.
- Yelp had an average of approximately 120 million monthly unique visitors in Q4 2013.
- Yelpers have written over 53 million local reviews.
- In addition to reviews, you can use Yelp to find events, lists and to talk with other Yelpers.
- Every business owner (or manager) can setup a free account to post photos and message their customers.
- Yelp makes money by selling ads to local businesses – you’ll see these clearly labeled “Yelp Ads” around the site.
- Paying advertisers can never change or re-order their reviews.
- Yelp uses automated software to recommend the most helpful and reliable reviews for the Yelp community among the millions we get. The software looks at dozens of different signals, including various measures of quality, reliability, and activity on Yelp. The process has nothing to do with whether a business advertises on Yelp or not. Learn more here.
- You can access Yelp via iPhone, Android, BlackBerry, and more – see the full list of mobile apps here.
- The Weekly Yelp brings locals updates on the latest and greatest business openings & other happenings.