Greetings Bacon Nation:
By now you’ve no doubt heard that tickets for Baconfest Chicago 2013 on April 20th have COMPLETELY SOLD OUT. Whiplash fast. Awesome. Just awesome. To those of you out there who did not get tickets and are currently waving your fists to the heavens in some combination of rage and grief, we feel for you. Over the next six weeks, we will be unveiling a series of contests to win a pair of free tickets: The first in this series is The Nueske’s Amateur Bacon Cook-off.
For the fifth consecutive year, we’d like to welcome a MAJOR sponsor aboard: Nueske’s Applewood Smoked Meats.
Their bacon is great. We love them. Visit their website, order on-line and buy Nueske’s Applewood Smoked Meats at any of the fine retail locations in Chicagoland listed below.
Seriously, we can never say enough great things about Nueske’s, both the people and the Bacon! As in years past, they want to give more Chicagoans a chance to attend Baconfest. The Nueske’s Amateur Cook-off is inspired by their belief that the greatest bacon delights often come from the Everyman and this contest will give the finalists FREE tickets to the sold out Baconfest Chicago 2013. Hence:
Baconfest Chicago announces the 2013 NUESKE’S AMATEUR BACON COOK-OFF
Interested competitors should write firstname.lastname@example.org with the following info:
- Your name.
- Contact e-mail/phone number.
- A description of the dish you’d like to present, including an ingredient list. YOU MUST SUBMIT A PHOTO of said bacon dish.
- A brief outline or description of how to prepare your dish
We at Baconfest Chicago will create a poll for our social media followers to vote for their favorite dishes. The top 5 vote getters will be the 5 Finalists – plain and simple.
Those 5 Finalists will be required to do the following:
- Attend Baconfest on April 20th (Lunch Session) as guests of Nueske’s and Baconfest Chicago. (You will be given two tickets to include you).
- Arrive at 11am for contestant orientation and you will be escorted to a private backstage room for prep.
- Bring 5 or more tasting portions of your dish to be served to a panel of selected judges.
- Be present for the Golden Rashers Awards ceremony circa 2:30pm when the winner of the Nueske’s Bacon Amateur Cook-off will be announced and presented with a Golden-Rasher Trophy (plus some prizes from Nueske’s t.b.a. – but I bet Bacon will be involved.)
Parameters of your dish:
Part of winning this challenge involves making the most out of limited resources. You are welcome to bring any equipment you may need with you (please run large, plug-in, or fuel powered devices past us first). In the prep area you will NOT be given facilities to cook your dish on site from scratch. We will have a microwave on site for heating, and you will be given time to set presentation prior to serving. Take this into account when planning your recipe! We will provide plates/flatware for serving. Other than that, let your imaginations run wild. Beverage pairings are acceptable. And in case this needs clarification: Your dish must showcase bacon. No Canadian Bacon and NO Turkey Bacon allowed. And don’t even mention tofacon.
Ok Bacon Nation, let’s hear some recipes! For a list and dish descriptions of the 2012 Finalists see: 2012 Nueske’s Amateur Cook-off
DEADLINE: Applications must be received via e-mail by Monday March 11th at noon CST. e-mail: email@example.com
On the definition of “Amateur”: You can NOT have been employed as a professional chef since the New York Islanders last won the Stanley Cup. I’m not gonna run FBI checks or anything – I trust your integrity Bacon Nation 🙂
Some Chicagoland stores that you can find Nueske’s Applewood Smoked Meats at are:
Big Apple Finer Foods
Fox & Obel
Gene’s Sausage Shop @ Deli Meyer
Lincoln Park Co-op
Zaleski & Horvath Market
Blue Goose Supermarket – St. Charles
Brookhaven Marketplace – Burr Ridge & Mokena Marion Street Market – Oak Park
Garden Fresh Food Market – Naperville