Greetings Bacon Nation:
By now, we hope you are all aware that Baconfest Chicago 2016 will happen on April 30th and May 1st at the UIC Forum featuring over 160 chefs from Chicago’s unrivaled restaurant scene. All are gathering to showcase their bacon-prowess in support of our long-time charity partner: The Greater Chicago Food Depository.
As of this writing, there are still some tickets available — Visit our ticketing page to get yours!
Meanwhile, we’re pleased to announce or final contest for 2016: The Nueske’s Amateur Bacon Cook-off.
For the eighth consecutive year, we’d like to welcome a MAJOR sponsor aboard: Nueske’s Applewood Smoked Meats.
Their bacon is great. We love them. Visit their website, order on-line and buy Nueske’s Applewood Smoked Meats at any of the fine retail locations in Chicagoland listed below. They donate THOUSANDS of pounds of bacon to our exhibiting chefs every year, and quite frankly, make Baconfest Chicago even possible. We can never say enough great things about Nueske’s, both the people and the Bacon! The Nueske’s Amateur Cook-off is inspired by their belief that the greatest bacon delights often come from the Everyman and so we are proud to announce…..
The 2016 NUESKE’S AMATEUR BACON COOK-OFF
NEW for 2016 – the winner of the 2016 Nueske’s Amateur Cook-off will receive a ONE YEAR SUPPLY of Nueske’s Bacon!
Interested competitors should write [email protected] with the following info:
- Your name.
- Contact e-mail/phone number.
- A description of the dish you’d like to present, including an ingredient list. YOU MUST SUBMIT A PHOTO of said bacon dish.
- A brief outline or description of how to prepare your dish
We at Baconfest Chicago will select a set of five finalists.
Those 5 Finalists will be required to do the following:
- Attend Baconfest on SUNDAY MAY 1 as guests of Nueske’s and Baconfest Chicago. (You will be given a “contestant’s pass” AND two free tickets to bring along some friends).
- Arrive at 11:30am for contestant orientation and you will be escorted to a private backstage room for prep.
- Bring 5 or more tasting portions of your dish to be served to a panel of selected judges.
- Be present for the Golden Rashers Awards ceremony circa 1:30pm when the winner of the Nueske’s Bacon Amateur Cook-off will be announced and presented with a Golden-Rasher Trophy.
- NOTE: Should you be selected as a finalist, Nueske’s will provide you with bacon a week PRIOR to the event to use in your dish (if you want it.)
Parameters of your dish:
Part of winning this challenge involves making the most out of limited resources. You are welcome to bring any equipment you may need with you (please run large, plug-in, or fuel powered devices past us first). In the prep area you will NOT be given facilities to cook your dish on site from scratch. We will have a microwave on site for heating, and you will be given time to set presentation prior to serving. Take this into account when planning your recipe! We will provide plates/flatware for serving. Other than that, let your imaginations run wild. Beverage pairings are acceptable. And in case this needs clarification: Your dish must showcase bacon. No Canadian Bacon and NO Turkey Bacon allowed. And don’t even mention tofacon.
Ok Bacon Nation, let’s hear some recipes! For a list and dish descriptions of the 2015 Finalists see: 2015 Nueske’s Amateur Cook-off
DEADLINE: Applications must be received via e-mail by Monday April 18th at noon CST. e-mail: [email protected]