THE DEADLINE HAS PASSED. Thank you to all who enterend!!
And in case you did not get the memo:
Baconfest Chicago 2011 Ticket Sales Announcement
The Illinois Pork Producers Association presents
BACONFEST CHICAGO 2011, April 9th at the UIC FORUM
For the third consecutive year, we’d like to welcome a MAJOR sponsor aboard: Nueske’s Applewood Smoked Meats.
Their bacon is great. We love them. Visit their website, order on-line and buy Nueske’s Applewood Smoked Meats at any of the fine retail locations in Chicagoland listed below.
Seriously, we can’t say enough good things about how much we love Nueske’s, both the people and the Bacon! Because they are fun and cool, they want part of their sponsorship to include an Amateur Cook-off as it did last year. So without further ado:
Baconfest Chicago announces the NUESKE’S AMATEUR BACON COOK-OFF
Interested competitors should write firstname.lastname@example.org with the following info:
Contact e-mail/phone number.
A description of the dish you’d like to present, including an ingredient list. If possible, a photo of said bacon-dish. (The committed will be rewarded.)
Entries will be judged on a number of subjective qualities, such as the “that looks and sounds really tasty” factor etc. etc.
We at Baconfest Chicago will choose our favorite 5 entries to be Finalists.
Those 5 Finalists will be required to do the following:
* Attend Baconfest on April 9th as guests of Nueske’s and Baconfest Chicago. (You will be given two tickets to include you).
* Arrive at 11am for contestant orientation and you will be escorted to a green-room for prep.
* Bring 20 or more tasting portions of your dish to be served to a panel of selected judges (including some of the the BFC pro-chefs).
* Be present for a judges critique panel. (Yes, like last year, I am trying to get Padma Lakshmi there.)
* Be present for the Golden Rashers Awards ceremony at 3:30pm when the winner of the Nueske’s Bacon Amateur Cook-off will be announced and presented with a Golden-Rasher Trophy (plus some prizes from Nueske’s t.b.a. – but I bet Bacon will be involved.)
Parameters of your dish:
You will NOT be given facilities to prep your dish on site from scratch. We will give you the ability to heat your dish (if so desired) prior to serving, and to set presentation. Take this into account when planning your recipe! We will provide plates/flatware for serving. Other than that, let your imaginations run wild. Beverage pairings are acceptable. And in case this needs clarification: Your dish must showcase bacon. No Canadian Bacon and NO Turkey Bacon allowed.
Ok Bacon-nation, let’s hear some recipes! For a list and dish descriptions of the 2010 Finalists see: 2010 Nueske’s Amateur Cook-off
DEADLINE: Applications must be received via e-mail by Thursday Feb. 24th at noon.
On the definition of “Amateur”: You can NOT have been employed as a professional Chef since the final Gilligan’s Island episode aired on network T.V. I’m not gonna run FBI checks or anything – I trust your integrity bacon-nation 🙂
Some Chicagoland stores that you can find Nueske’s Applewood Smoked Meats at are:
Big Apple Finer Foods
Fox & Obel
Gene’s Sausage Shop @ Deli Meyer
Lincoln Park Co-op
Zaleski & Horvath Market
Blue Goose Supermarket – St. Charles
Brookhaven Marketplace – Burr Ridge & Mokena Marion Street Market – Oak Park
Garden Fresh Food Market – Naperville