Join Baconfest Chicago and help fight hunger in our community by donating your time and labor to the Greater Chicago Food Depository! You may just end up with two VIP tickets to Baconfest Chicago’s Friday Dinner Session on 4/17.
When: Saturday, March 28, 2015 – 1:00 PM to 3:45 PM
Where: Greater Chicago Food Depository – 4100 West Ann Lurie Place, Chicago IL 60632 (map)
Who: You and your family (14 years and older please)
What: A volunteer re-pack session
How: Click here to register.
Registration is required!
Please fill in a separate registration for each member of your party.
Wait, a what? A volunteer re-pack session. The Greater Chicago Food Depository receives giant shipments of food from suppliers. Imagine 500 pounds of pinto beans on a pallet. They rely on volunteer labor to repackage that food into individual family portions that they distribute to hungry people in the Chicago area. Baconfest is hosting one of those volunteer repack sessions.
Please, join us as we help break down shipments of bulk food items into individual portions so the GCFD can distribute them to hungry people in the area.
To entice you to participate, Baconfest Chicago will be giving away a pair of VIP tickets for the 4/17 Friday Dinner session to one of the volunteers at this volunteer event.
The fine print!
Description of Duties: The Greater Chicago Food Depository regularly needs volunteers to help with repacking donated food and other products. The repack session is a great introduction to the Greater Chicago Food Depository, the work we do here, and the need that we see in Cook County. A lot of the food we receive at our warehouse comes in bulk quantities and volunteers are scheduled to help us break it down into more manageable sizes. In a repack session you might be sorting produce, looking over a shipment of bread, or repacking bulk dry goods (cereal, pasta, rice) into smaller quantities. Together, we can properly and efficiently distribute quality food to participating food pantries, soup kitchens and shelters in Cook County.
Please read the following information carefully.
- Projects: Volunteers must be able to stand for up to 90 minutes while doing some light lifting and bending.
- Clothing: Long pants and covered shoulders are required to work in the warehouse.
- Shoes: Closed shoes are required in the warehouse. No open toed or open back shoes are allowed.
- Jewelry: Loose and dangling jewelry should be removed before entering the warehouse. Some projects will require all jewelry to be removed.
- Grooming and Hygiene: Many project require hand washing, aprons and hairnets. Please be prepared to tie back long hair.
- Tattoos: All visible tattoos should be covered while representing the Food Depository.
- Piercings: No visible facial piercing jewelry, other than in the ears, is allowed.
- Health and Wellness: To protect the safety of the food, please inform project supervisor if you have any open cuts or if you are not feeling well.
The minimum age for volunteers is 14 years old. If you are 14 or 15 you must be accompanied by an adult over the age of 18.